Monday, February 24, 2014

The Daily Grind: Lessons in the Hidden Curriculum

Orenstein used many actions, dialogues and details to describe vivid scenes in an eight-grade class. Amy who was a star actress “said hardly a word”; Allison tried to ask Mrs. Richter questions but got on respond, after struggled, she raised her hand again and got teacher’s respond; Some active boys raised their hand always to get chances to answer teacher’s questions. When I read this paragraphs, as if I saw the scenes in the class. Because I have similar experience and this essay reminds my memory.
I think my performance in middle school was like most girls’ performance in this essay. When I knew answers of some questions, I always thought again and again to make sure it was true and to avoid embarrassing. After I raised my hand and waited for teacher’s pick, two thoughts twined in my heart: be picked and not be picked. The reason I wanted to be picked is obvious—I hoped get praise from teacher when I answered correctly. While the reason I did not want to be picked was I felt embarrassed when I stood up. After I grew up, I think it does not matter. But, it was a big deal when I was in middle school. Boys’ behaviors in this essay also make me remember the boys in my class of middle school. Boys were always smart and brave enough so they liked answering difficult and challenging questions. Even though they answered incorrectly, they would not feel embarrassed but giggled after sat down.

Original tension and embarrassment in middle school have become a sweet memory now.

No comments:

Post a Comment